Alfa alfa known as Lasunghaas in hindi is of the legumes family and Medicago sativa in Latin
The name alfa alfa sounds funny but trust me its full of so many nutrients for you and all while its low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. The sprouts of these tiny seeds are densely nutritious. They carry more protein, vitamins and minerals, and a lower amount of starch, than the unsprouted seeds. The starches of the seeds are turned to simple sugars and are easier to digest when consumed as sprouts.
Alfalfa with its high micronutrient content is sometimes used as a nutritional supplement.
Health Benefits of Alfa Alfa touches and revitalizes the vital organs of your body:
- Diabetes: Many studies claim that alfa alfa treats and prevents Diabetes. Diabetes can definitely be controlled with the lifestyle changes. They reduce the blood glucose levels and reduces your dependency on insulin.
- Breast cancer: The diet plays an important role in curbing the breast cancer. The alfa alfa provides the female body with plant form of enzymes that regulate growth of malignant cells.
- Reduces Menopause Symptoms and heavy Menstruation flow: Alfa alfa is a good source of vitamin K and phytoestrogens (plant hormones that are similar to human estrogens). Vitamin K helps in blood clotting so reduces heavy flow in menstruation while together with estrogen it reduces those PMS symptoms that make you feel so undone.
- Prevent Osteoporosis: vitamin K and phytoestrogens has an effect on regulating estrogen, which could help minimize PMS and symptoms of menopause
- Prevents Osteoporosis: These little seed sprouts prevent as well as treat osteoporosis.They vitamin K in alfa alfa promotes the absorption of calcium in human body.
- Antioxidants and Other Anti-Aging Agent rich: This for the elixir of life look young and feel with the antioxidant properties of alfa alfa you can save spending thousands of rupees on your antiaging cream.
- Combat Cholesterol: Alfa alfa reduce the levels of lipids in your blood lowering the bad cholesterol and maintaining that vital heart well.
- Source of Vitamin C: You donot like those tangy fruits that give you vitamin c for your immunity boosting worry not. The alfa alfa gives you ample amount of vitamin C to keep your immunity system well.
- Stomach ulcers Alfa alfa reduces the inflammation in the inner lining of the stomach and heals those painful ulcers.
- Relives joint pains: Having the properties of natural anti-inflammatory foods it is a boon in diet for those suffering from arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Diuretic:They are diuretics keeping your kidney well functional by increasing your frequency of urination.
If I share the micronutrient stats you will be astonished to see they matching the labels of the multivitamins your doctor prescribed you and the best part is it is all natural and is 100% absorbed by your body unlike those chemical pills.
Everything is not for everyone stands true for alfa alfa too:
- Sprouts carry food borne diseases so keep them very hygienic and avoid them to be fed to a person who is already ailing with any disease.
- If you are taking blood thinners you should avoid alfalfa sprouts.
- If you are suffering from autoimmune diseases like psoriasis avoid alfa alfa.
- Diabetics who are using other herbal supplements and medications that is known to lower blood sugar
- If your condition is sensitive to Estrogen levels avoid alfa alfa.
- If you are pregnant and nursing avoid alfa alfa as it causes uterine stimulation
How to consume alfa alfa in your daily diet?
Added to soups, on top of sandwiches and with salads.
How to sprout Alfa alfa seeds?
Soak a tbsp of Alfa alfa seeds in water for over 6 hours. Wash and drain the water. Wrap the seeds in a cheese cloth. They should be moist but water should not be dripping. Rinse the seeds every 6-7 hours to avoid any bacterial growth. When you see white shoots about and inch long just rinse and refrigerate them immediately.
The more you adhere to natural supplements more pronounced are the health results. The Chinese doctors used alfa alfa in medicines also. It is a 5000 year old medicinal seed to be trusted for its authenticity of health benefits.