Ayurveda’s unique treatment for various aliments related to the lower back and spine.
Kati – means waist
Basti – means to retain
(Oil pooling treatment for low Backache)
The treatment involves retention of medicated warm oil over the affected area of spine for a certain period, to tackle all types of back pain Sciatica, Spondylitis and also to cure disc prolapse.
Kati Basti is suitable in following conditions:-
- Chronic Back pain
- Lumbar Spondylosis
- Lumbar Spondylitis
- Slip Disc
- Muscle sprain around Backbone
- Degenerative ( age Related ) Changes
- Preventive treatment to avoid back problems along with exercise.
- The Patient is asked to come either empty stomach or after 2-3 hour of meal as for this procedure patient has to lie on his stomach.
- The patient is asked to lie face down on table.
- Therapist prepares tough dough made of black gram powder to make circular boundary in lumbosacral area. Sometimes acrylic ring is also being fixed to increase the height of pool.
- Warm medicated oil based on individual prakriti (constitution) and vikriti (pathogenesis) is poured in to ring and allowed to stand there.
- The Temperature of oil is maintained by reheating and continuously adding more oil.
- The process is repeated till 30-45 min once.
- This part of procedure is over. The affected area may be gently massaged followed by a steaming (medicated) for 10 min for better absorption of medicine.
- Sometimes the therapy is combined with patra pind Swedan (Hyperlink) and Matra Basti also for Better results.
Duration of therapy –
- 45 min to 1 hour for single session.
- Continue for 7 days to 21 days depending on severity of problem.
Mode Of Action:
The hot medicated oils helps melt lower spine rigidity, make it more flexible and strengthen bone tissue. The healing properties of herbal oils used for therapy deeply nourish and detoxify the muscles, bones and connective tissue.
The procedure increases Blood circulation of affected area which stimulates healing and Reduces Inflammation. Also it builds strong musculature to maintain normal curvature of spine.
Benefits of kati basti:
- Alleviates numbness due to sciatic nerve compression & most types of low-back pain.
- Strengthens back muscles which maintain normal curvature of the spine the bone tissues.
- Increases the circulation in the region & highly effective in inflammatory conditions.
- Kati Basti alleviates lower back conditions like Lumber Spondylosis, Inter vertebral disc prolapses, Lumbago (low back ache), and Sciatica.
- Strengthens the joints, muscles and soft tissues around and enables you to resume back your work and activities.
To Sum up: Kati Basti is the most safe, secure and non invasive procedure for acute or chronic Back pain without any risk of side effect.
The beauty of the treatment is that it can even be performed on healthy individuals, health freaks and sedentary corporates for prevention. It can be taken occasionally, say once / twice a month.
All the Information provided here is only for the purpose of education and awareness. It is not intended to diagnose, or treats anything. Always consult registered practitioner to get the right advice.